Lasagna for the Night before Thanksgiving


Mrs. King's Lasagna

Here's the dish I like to make for Wednesday night before Thanksgiving when the grandkids arrive.  I took a photo last year before I put it in the oven.  Their arrival time is often in flux so it holds well. And we can serve a salad and rolls.

This year, I thought could make it ahead of time, but realized this past weekend that our freezer shelves are too shallow, and won't hold a 9x13" casserole.  Harummpuff.

Nonetheless, it is a very good recipe....from Mrs. King, a family friend when we were growing up.

Is it spelled lasagna or lasagne?  I think both versions are acceptable.

Mrs. King's Lasagna 
Serves 6 to 8
1/2 lb. lasagne noodles
2 T. cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef (I use beef, pork and veal mix)
2 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. each basil/rosemary
1 1/2 cups water
2 6-ounce cans of tomato paste
2 eggs, beaten
1 pint cottage cheese
1 T. minced parsley
1/2 lb. mozzarella, shredded or sliced
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese

Cook noodles as directed and drain. 

Heat oil in skillet, cook garlic and onion until soft.  Add meat and seasoning and cook until crumbly. 
Add tomato paste and hot water.  Simmer 5 minutes or so and set aside. 

Blend beaten eggs with cottage cheese in bowl.  Add parsley and stir to mix. 

In a baking dish (9x13x2) put a thin layer of meat sauce, half the noodles, all the cottage cheese ...  This is where the recipe stops because I have lost the second card over the years.  So, I just put a third of the remaining meat sauce on top, then another layer of noodles, more meat sauce,
half the mozzarella, another layer of noodles, the remaining meat sauce, the remaining mozzarella.
and top it with the Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.  Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

Here are some cooking tips I used when cooking the recipe.  Salt along the way I add a pinch when I start the onions, and keep adding and tasting throughout the course of cooking the sauce, so it doesn't end up over salted.

Add your garlic well after the onions have started cooking so you don't burn your garlic.

A ground meat mix of beef, pork and veal makes a creamier, richer meat sauce than straight beef.  Be sure to buy lean meat or drain off most of the fat.

I use lots of basil only, and skip the rosemary, so the basil flavor really comes through in the sauce.

Serve it with a nice salad.  I like to make the Arugula Salad with Shaved Grana Padama.

B



Comments