Orange soufflé


« Daig ng maagap ang masipag ».

This is my mom’s favorite Tagalog proverb. This literally means «Quickness is better than hardworking”. I never believed her until yesterday when I tried doing an orange soufflé recipe. I have seen a lot of French highly acclaimed chefs giving tips on making this light and fluffy dessert; the way you butter your ramekin, the way you powder it with flour, the way you beat your white eggs, well all the right jest to make it rise (as soufflé means to blow up in French). And for the first time I followed the recipe to the letter. When I saw my soufflé bloating slowly like balloons in the oven, I got really excited. I saw them rise really high thanks to the help of the baking paper sheet I put around the ramekin to support it. And when they were done they look absolutely gorgeous.


I took them and put them on the table. I went to my room to get my camera but I couldn’t find it. As I was busy searching for it the phone rang. I took and answer it. Of course it’s one of those “exhausting” commercial calls (someone must have sold my phone number to these people for I get minimum of three calls per day). I tried to cut the conversation as fast as I could but you know how they are. I don’t want to be impolite after all. I hurried back to the kitchen with my camera and enthusiasm but to my surprise I was shocked that my soufflé have already deflated. I am really disappointed. I guess it pays well to be organized and quick.


I hope Helen of Tartellette will still love my Orange soufflé even they are deflated for I am sending her this for Sugar High Friday that she is hosting with the theme, citrus. This is an event created by Jennifer of Domestic Goddess.

Orange soufflé

for the orange reduction: half lemon, 10 g of sugar, zest of 1 orange (organic), 4 oranges

for the soufflé:5 egg whites, 200 g of sugar, and 1 tsp of Grand Marnier, 1 tsp of butter and flour for the ramekin, confectioners ’ sugar for dusting

In a casserole boil the juice of 4 oranges and half a lemon together with the orange zest. Wait until the liquid becomes thick. In a separate bowl whisk the white eggs and add little by little the sugar. Add slowly the reduced orange juice in the mixture and the Grand Marnier. Butter the ramekin and powder all parts of it lightly with flour. Shake off excess flour. Preheat the oven at 180° and bake the soufflé for about ten minutes.

"Orange is the happiest color"
- Frank Sinatra


Comments