Old-fashioned Clafoutis


A delicious old-fashioned way, Cherry Clafoutis

I don’t feel very well today. Monday blues? So I just decided to pen a letter to my grandmother.


Dearest Grandmom,

The weather in our region of southern France has not been so generous with a sunny weather for the past weeks fortunately that we have been solaced by the presence of all the big stars from Hollywood to grace the 61st celebration of Cannes Film Festival. Anyhow, the constant rain showers have rendered our dry region with much greener and colorful sceneries. I guess no real reason for me to complain after all. And besides one thing that I couldn’t help but notice is the early arrival of cherries and melons in the market. Two of the fruits I enjoy a lot. Much to our surprise our cherry tree in the garden will be ready in two weeks time. But my impatience (you know me) drove me to gather some that have already ripen in advance of the rest and decided to make some Clafoutis.

Well this is a cherry cake that I fell in love with the first time I met him. It was love at first taste I would say. Although so many have tried making this cake using different kinds of fruit, but cherry still remains the best. Better to cook the cherries depitted for the pit gives that distinct flavor in clafoutis. Speaking of pitt, I think I’ll have to finish this letter soon because I heard that Brad Pitt has already in Cannes. I will try to get a snapshot of him and who knows I’ll be lucky enough to get an autograph of your favorite actor.

Until here and big kisses,

Hilda

ps, I'l be sending you the photo of your grand-daughter she has seven teeth now :-)
I'm sending this over to Cate of Sweetnicks host of this week's Weekend Herb Blogging an event for herb lovers founded by Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen.



Old-fashioned Clafoutis (grandmom's recipe)

250 g of cherries
4 eggs
60 g of butter
9 tbsps of sugar
5 tbsps of flour
a pinch of salt
half a cup of fresh cream or heavy cream (or milk)
3 drops of vanilla
1 pack of vanilla sugar

In a bowl cream the egg, with melted butter and sugar. Add the vanilla drops and salt. Fold in the flour and mix well. Put the heavy cream or the milk and mix until the mixture becomes homogenous. Let the mixture stand for about an hour. Pour this in the buttered baking dish. Then add the cherries. You can replace the cherries with other fruits such as figs, peaches, apricot or apples. Pre-heat the oven at 180° celsius and cook for 20-30 minutes. Ten minutes before the end of cooking top the cake with the vanilla sugar. This cake is better eaten warm with the crunchy and caramelized sugar on the top.
Get mesmerized...

He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me :-)


Add to Technorati Favorites

Comments