Almond Croissants


Almond Croissants

We all have left-overs. How we deal with it, whether we throw them out or decide to do something else with it determines if we are contributing something good for the society. Dealing with left-over food is a skill and a challenge for a lot of household. I don't call this being frugal but simply loving our mother earth.

Do you know that in average we are dumping about 34 pounds of garbage per week? And majority of these are food and things that can still be consumed. I cannot blame those concerned citizens in Paris that I saw on tv few months back, who have decided to totally stop buying their goods in supermarkets. Not that they are against consumption but simply because they forsake people dumping food that are still consumable. And so every afternoon they instead do their shopping in centralized garbage bins of Paris. You will be amazed on what we can find that people have dumped. This is a beautiful concept imported from New York.


So in my kitchen yesterday, as I open the fridge and saw all these left-over sitting there; trimmings of my croissant dough, half a cup of pastry cream, about 3 tablespoons of apricot jam and some almonds, I chose not to dump.

This is supposed to be my Wordless Wednesday but you know me, I love talking :-) I hope Marija of Palachinka loves almonds because I'll be sending this to her. She is the host for this week's Weekend Herb Blogging, a genius event created by Kalyn.



Almond Croissant

(Note: You might notice that they are not in croissant shape. This is because I used left-over trimmings of my croissant dough)

left-over croissants (I have a recipe here)
half a cup of Pastry cream

4 tablespoons of almond powder
1 teaspoon of orange water
some apricot jam (optional) (recipe here)
2 tablespoons of almonds
some icing sugar

Slice horizontally your croissants as you would do a sandwich. In a bowl mix the pastry cream with almond powder and orange water. Put this filling inside your croissants. Adding a teaspoon of apricot jam is optional (the original almond croissant does not include this). Brush the top of croissant with egg yolk and put some sliced almonds on the top. Bake on preheated oven at 180 ° celsius for about ten to fifteen minutes. Let it cool before powdering with icing sugar on the top.


Other french desserts to try:

Filbert Cake with Praline Buttercream
Mini Dacquoise Cake in Chocolate Cream Chantilly

Comments